First English Baptist Church of Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Baptists are non-credal; there is no binding statement (creed) of Baptist beliefs. Still, there is substantial agreement among most Baptists with regard to their beliefs. We at First English Baptist summarize our basic beliefs as follows:
- We accept Jesus Christ as our Divine Lord and Savior and that He is, first and foremost, our guide and sustainer in our daily lives.
- We accept the Bible as the source and foundation of the expression of our faith and practice.
- We accept the right of private interpretation of the Bible in communion with the Holy Spirit, and the right of the individual to approach God directly.
- We believe in the absolute independence of the church from any governmental or civil authority.
- We maintain a church membership of those who profess their beliefs in the new life through Jesus Christ, and who exemplify this faith in their daily lives.
- We believe in the beautiful, symbolic ordinance of baptism in obedience to the command of Jesus Christ, and we express this belief through the baptism of believers by immersion.
- We believe in the priesthood of all believers, in that all believers accept the privilege and responsibility for ministering to all people.
- We believe in the complete independence of the local church and our volunteer cooperation in associated fellowship with other Baptist Churches.
- We accept the principle of majority rule, while guaranteeing equal rights to all and affording special privileges to none.
- We affirm the spiritual unity of all believers for which the Master so earnestly prayed.
- We believe in a worldwide program of testimony and witness in faith obedience to Jesus Christ for the gift of eternal life.